Thursday, April 11, 2013

April 11, 2013: Life Is Fine As Wine

MENDOZA, ARGENTINA--WINE COUNTRY
I am finally writing a timely entry and relating yesterday´s excursion; however, I feel like I am skipping several chapters of our story as I describe our time in the beautiful city, and surrounding country, of Mendoza. I promise another post in the near future to tell you about our southern-most destination and some of the places and stories in between. 

We arrived in Mendoza, Argentina on Tuesday morning after traveling on a bus for forty-eight hours. Our weariness was replaced with enthusiasm and our stiff legs gained speed and spring as we began exploring this charming city. Every one knows that I am not a city-girl. In fact, I usually try to avoid loud, crowded places if I can help it; however, I felt quite at ease by the small-town atmosphere that this (large) town exuded.


We settled in and explored a large radius of the city--making our way through pedestrian streets and lovely plazas. It may have been subliminal--signs and brochures plastered on every building, window and door--but we came to the conclusion that we had to do a wine tasting tour. And so we did.



It was Dave´s idea to ride tandem... honest

Yesterday we took a bus to the outskirts of town where we rented a tandem bike. Yes, a tandem bike. It was a ridiculous scene. We cruised the country roads, yelling out stopping and going signals while trying to keep ourselves from wrecking due to laughter. I probably won´t be riding another tandem bike any time soon, but I would not change a signal moment of the day, or the person I shared it with.

Sweet, tasty grapes straight from the vine

It was a wonderful day. We learned every thing we wanted to know about wines in the region--although we were more concerned with tasting them--and we enjoyed the beautiful, sunny weather and countryside as we cruised our way from one winery to the next.




The day ended back in the city--with more wine and a romantic dinner on a patio along one of the lazy, cobble-stoned streets. I finally tried Argentina´s famous beef--I´ve heard Dave mention it at least a dozen times while hiking and eating backpacker´s rations. I am not exaggerating, and neither was Dave, when I say that it was the best steak that I have ever tasted. 

Our time in Argentina is unfortunately short due to expenses and a pressing desire to keep moving and exploring. Tomorrow we get back on the road and head north--Next stop, Bolivia.



1 comment:

  1. I have a friend in Chile and her family has a winery there.. http://www.balduzziwines.com/

    Have fun in Bolivia!

    --Danielle

    ReplyDelete